JSAMP update

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Mar 14 15:09:41 CET 2024

Hi Tom,

here is how you can test it.

Note it's the astropy hub that is under test here, so the sending
web application and the receiving SAMP client don't make a difference.

So to test it with and without the change you want to do something like:

  1. start the hub under test: e.g. run the astropy standalone program
     samp_hub

  2. start a suitable desktop client (e.g. topcat or aladin) - note you
     should do this after starting the hub, otherwise certain clients
     will start their own hub instead

  3. send a message from a web application to the desktop client.
     Any old web-samp client will do, e.g. you can send the result of
     a Vizier query with the "Send to VO tools" button on the top right
     of the results page, or use the minimal samp web app at
     https://astrojs.github.io/sampjs/examples/send.html

Note when you do the send, the python hub will ask you for consent
on the console, so make sure that you're watching that.

Figuring out the difference between the behaviour before and after
the fix is also a bit subtle.  As far as I know the send will complete
successfully in both cases using all known browsers.
However, if you carry out step 3 using recent versions of google chrome
(e.g. v122), then with the unfixed version, the chrome developer console
(ctrl-shift-I) will report warnings (orange flags) labelled
"Ensure private network requests are only made to resources that allow
them".  In the version corresponding to Astropy PR #16193, no warnings.

Mark

m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk          https://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/mbt/