Astropy VOTable parsing pull requests

Tom Donaldson tdonaldson at stsci.edu
Wed Sep 27 22:09:28 CEST 2023

Hello VOTable fans,

As you probably know, the Astropy module “io.votable” supports the reading and writing of VOTables.  I wanted to let you know that there are currently several pull requests (proposals to change to code and/or documentation) open on that module, and that you have an opportunity to review and comment on those proposals.  These PRs will also be reviewed by Astropy maintainers (including me) soon, looking to include them in the Astropy 6.0 (feature freeze in about one month), so now is a good time to be heard.

The complete list of PRs is https://github.com/astropy/astropy/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+label%3Aio.votable and includes a few items that may be of interest:

  *   MIVOT support
  *   Renaming io.votable.tree.Table to TableElement to avoid confusion with other Table classes
  *   A draft PR to support VOTable with Parquet serialization (as touch on at the last interop in the Science Platforms talk on HiPSCat: https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpMay2023SciencePlatforms)

So if you have an interest in Astropy’s VOTable support and can spare a few moments, it would be great to have your review comments on any of these PRs.

Thanks!
Tom