VOTable 1.5 WD content and process updates

Tom Donaldson tdonaldson at stsci.edu
Tue Sep 26 16:52:54 CEST 2023

Hello,

During the working draft and PR phases of VOTable 1.5 development, I will make an effort to keep this list informed about activity on GitHub.  In this way, discussions can happen on this list or in the relevant GitHub pull request or issue.  This hybrid mode of discussion is clearly still evolving, so I will do my best to see that stakeholders are informed whether they monitor this list, GitHub, or both.  As we go through this process we can note opportunities for improving the process for next time.

In general for now, further working drafts will be published from the master branch on GitHub, so any pull requests should target that branch.

I have merged one pull request so far since the working draft of 2023-09-13 was published (https://www.ivoa.net/documents/VOTable/20230913/).  This PR simply added an informative paragraph to the RESOURCE description noting that MIVOT metadata can be added without depending on the VOTable schema:  https://github.com/ivoa-std/VOTable/pull/47

Further discussion on this or Pierre’s excellent COOSYS questions from yesterday should continue on this list.

Recall that the latest contents of the master branch can be previewed at https://github.com/ivoa-std/VOTable/releases/download/auto-pdf-preview/VOTable-draft.pdf which is also available via the “Preview PDF” button at the top of the README on the VOTable GitHub page (https://github.com/ivoa-std/VOTable).

Best regards,
Tom