Draft note for the annotation of plate scans

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Oct 4 10:50:08 CEST 2022

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 03:28:16PM +0100, Mark Taylor wrote:
> > > into a draft for an IVOA Note.  A rendered version of that draft is
> > > at <http://docs.g-vo.org/plateheaders.pdf>, and you can pull the
> >
> > I'd have thought the obvious place to look for this sort of thing
> > would be somewhere in the Conventions section of the NASA FITS
> > web site: https://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_conventions.html
>
> Yes, that's a good point.  I think a few members of the IAU FITS WG
> are on Apps and/or DM -- do you agree with Mark?
>
> And would that be "don't even bother do publish this as an IVOA note,
> go FITS WG only" or "don't forget to register it there, too"?

I don't really see much connection with other VO standards, so I'd
be inclined to say the former.  But there doesn't seem to be much
constraint on presentation of conventions in the FITS convention
registry, so I think you could just add the text of an IVOA Note
to a convention record (though it could be worth checking with
the FITS office how this works).

Mark Taylor  Astronomical Programmer  Physics, Bristol University, UK
m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk          http://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/~mbt/