MOCPy release supporting MOC 2.0 updates

F.-X. Pineau francois-xavier.pineau at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Oct 25 14:15:44 CEST 2021

Dear Applications Working Group,

This email to announce that although we are still working on improving
the documentation,
we released last week a new version of MOCPy (v0.9.0) supporting most
updates of the MOC 2.0 document
(updated FITS keywords, 62 orders for T-MOCs, ST-MOC elements now
(T-MOC, S-MOC) tuples
instead of (single T-RANGE, S-MOC) tuples, ...).
We still have to implement the very last update, namely the support of
the optional 't' or 's' prefix
in the JSON ser/deser-ialisation of S-MOCs and T-MOCs.

To benefit from the latest formats, one should use methods 'save' and
'load' instead of the former
(and soon deprecated) 'from_fits' and 'write'.

A lot of work has been done during the last few month.
The Rust core of MOCPy has grown (FITS/ASCII/JSON
serialization/deserialization added on the Rust side,
code even more generic than before to support different quantities, some
performance improvements,
iterator based operations, ...), and has been put in a separate,
external, pure Rust, library
(see https://github.com/cds-astro/cds-moc-rust).

In addition to MOCPy, we developed from the Rust library:
* a MOC manipulation command line tool (single executable file, see
https://github.com/cds-astro/cds-moc-rust/tree/main/crates/cli )
* a MOC javascript library (based on WebAssembly, see
https://github.com/cds-astro/cds-moc-rust/tree/main/crates/wasm )

Please feel free to open github issues or to contact us so we can
improve the quality of this very new MOCPy release, tools,
and associated documentations.

Kind regards,

François-Xavier Pineau

PS: a similar announcement by Pierre about the progress of the Java
library should follow.