MOC 2.0 WD Feedback

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Mar 12 17:05:53 CET 2021

Hi Mark et al.,

Le 11/03/2021 à 10:31, Mark Taylor a écrit :
> Ada, Francois, et al.,
>
> I'm not necessarily against this, but in order to avoid hitting a
> problem that we might have run into before: does anybody know why the
> STMOC ASCII serialization was removed from the document in the first
> place?  It was present in an internal draft I have dated 2020-09-14,
> but not at https://www.ivoa.net/documents/MOC/20201112/index.html
>
> It's possible that I was party to the conversation that resulted in
> that change, but if so I don't remember.  Can the authors explain
> why STMOC ASCII got removed?

The removal of ASCII serialization for TMOCs and STMOCs in WD 2.0 had
been motivated when the authors were considering the complete removal of
the temporal MOC hierarchy due to the fact that the syntax was based on
this notion of hierarchy (/order/npix or order/range.../). As we finally
decided to keep a hierarchy (factor 2 for time and 4 for space),
technically it could be possible to reintegrate this ASCII serialization
in the document by just adjusting a little bit the text to take into
account the 61 orders of time compared to the 29 of space).

I would be in favor of reintroducing. My current point of view is also
motivating by the fact that I'm updating Aladin Desktop to follow the
latest WD, and I admit that the removal of ASCII serialization is a
concern for me, especially in the script commands (draw MOC ....) that
requires an ASCII expression and also to keep a global consistency for
the MOCs serializations. Also, I keep in mind the remarks of Gregory
Dubois, just after my IVOA presentation which let think me that an ASCII
serialization will be really required anymore. François Bonnarel's last
mail is also in the same direction.

If there is no strong opposition and the other redactors agree, I think
it would make sense to reintroduce this alternative. Ada ? Daniel ?

Cheers
Pierre