Call for MOC 1.1 validators

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Jun 12 12:00:15 CEST 2019

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> Hi Apps,
>
> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 06:10:00PM +0000, Tom Donaldson wrote:
> > The MOC 1.1 document is quite stable and ready for its official RFC
> > period.  However, the RFC page does not list any validators, and
> > that is also a prerequisite for entering RFC.  I suspect that one
> > or more of the listed implementations can act as validators, but I
> > do not know that for sure.  The one I tried did not give any
> > feedback for a corrupt ASCII MOC.
> >
> > So if your implementation can act as a validator, please add it to
> > the validator section of the RFC page
> > (https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/MOC11RFC#Implementations_Validators),
> > along with sufficient text to explain how to use it in that
> > context.
> >
> > I will open the official RFC period as soon as we have a validator.
>
> Since I have a major interest in getting ASCII MOCs out of the door
> (it's a prerequisite for VODataService 1.2), I went ahead and just
> wrote a validator.  I've put it onto volute (and even though the
> standard itself is non version-controllable, it might be useful to
> just put it next to it):
>
> https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/apps/MOC/

Good work Markus.  I have added it to the
https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IvoaValidatorsSummary
wiki page mainained by Ops IG.  While doing that I noticed that
there is already a MOC validator listed (CDS), though it looks
like it only works for MOC v1.0 FITS files, not MOC v1.1 ASCII files.
Probably it makes sense for both to be listed on the RFC page though,
since MOC 1.1 encompasses MOC 1.0.  I will leave it to the authors
to make that addition, preferably with some more detailed
comments about what those validators actually do in relation to
the MOC 1.1 standard.