Call for MOC 1.1 validators

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Jun 12 11:46:40 CEST 2019

Hi Apps,

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 06:10:00PM +0000, Tom Donaldson wrote:
> The MOC 1.1 document is quite stable and ready for its official RFC
> period.  However, the RFC page does not list any validators, and
> that is also a prerequisite for entering RFC.  I suspect that one
> or more of the listed implementations can act as validators, but I
> do not know that for sure.  The one I tried did not give any
> feedback for a corrupt ASCII MOC.
>
> So if your implementation can act as a validator, please add it to
> the validator section of the RFC page
> (https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/MOC11RFC#Implementations_Validators),
> along with sufficient text to explain how to use it in that
> context.
>
> I will open the official RFC period as soon as we have a validator.

Since I have a major interest in getting ASCII MOCs out of the door
(it's a prerequisite for VODataService 1.2), I went ahead and just
wrote a validator.  I've put it onto volute (and even though the
standard itself is non version-controllable, it might be useful to
just put it next to it):

https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/apps/MOC/

The validator only has a very basic command line interface: It will
validate its standard input, unless it is called with "test" as a
first argument, in which case the built-in tests are run.

Comments are welcome (and yes, 0/1,2 4
5,
6,,,,

 12 *is* a valid ASCII MOC; I'm not enthusiastic about that, too, but
breaking existing software is uncool, so I guess we'll have to live
with it).

        -- Markus