VOTable 1.4 Working Draft

Francois Ochsenbein francois.ochsenbein at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 10:06:22 CET 2019

Hi Markus,

>on 2019-02-14 at 10:52+0100, Markus Demleitner wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 03:38:15PM +0100, Francois Ochsenbein wrote:
>> I was pleased to read the announcement of the VOTable 1.4 draft; the
>> "un-deprecation" of the COOSYS element simplifies the reference to
>> one or several coordinate systems used in a VOTABLE, at the cost of
>> a loss of generality. However it seems to me that an "origin" or
>> "refposition" attribute, which specifies the origin of the
>> coordinate system (barycentric, geocentric, etc) is currently
>> missing in the COOSYS element, and this new version represents a
>> good opportunity to fix this gap; the list of possible origins is
>> identical to the list of reference positions associated to the
>> "refposition" attribute of the TIMESYS element. However this
>> attribute, which did not exist in version 1.1, could hardly be
>> mandatory...
>
>+1 for having refposition in COOSYS in principle, but I'd still try
>to fend off feature creep for 1.4.  Can we punt it to 1.5 when I
>promise I'll work on it right after 1.4 is REC?

I'm not sure to understand why the "refposition" would better be
postponed to another VOTable version, it seems to me that the main
changes in this 1.4 version (introduction of TIMESYS and
un-deprecation of COOSYS) would benefit of a coordinated definition
of their parameters − or do I underestimate the effort that this
addition requires ?

Cheers, François

Francois Ochsenbein  ---   6, rue des Vosges -- 67380 Lingolsheim
ochsenbein at evc.net   ---   francois.ochsenbein at gmail.com
+33 (0)388 77 81 17  ---   +33 (0)602 39 60 78