A Proposal for a TIMESYS Element in VOTable

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 6 21:10:15 CET 2018

TOPOCENTER refers to the location where the measurement is made - that is
not even restricted to earth-based observatories and satellites.
I would favor this definition, as it is the most general.

Whether or not you want to include orbit ephemerides depends on the
question: what timing accuracy is needed?
If a dataset specifies TOPOCENTER and requires, say, a microsecond
accuracy, one will have to provide the location of the instrument, whether
it is earth-bound, in low-earth orbit, in L3, or wherever. There is no
escaping this.
On the other hand, if second-accuracy is required, the timestamps can
simply be converted to GEOCENTER by changing the systematic time error
parameter to (roughly) 25 ms for earth-based, 30 ms for LEO, 400 ms for
Chandra, etc., without touching the actual timestamps values.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA