VO-DML mapping RFC page

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Oct 26 17:14:10 CEST 2017

Sorry, sent again for Apps and DAL members.
Pierre
---

Hi DMers,

I have a question concerning the VO-DML mapping RFC document recently
published.  At the page 24, we read this constraint (in blue) :

May be I am wrong, but the obligation of removing DM elements of the
MODEL header if there are no relevant data in the VOTable*will imply a
very big constraint on the data provider, notably in the framework of
TAP*. Concretely, it implies that the provider system should be able to
associated to each column of its DB the relevant element of the DM or
DMs associated to and possibly to manage the dependencies with other
columns to know if the DM elements should or should not be inserted in
the response (the list of resulting columns depends of the user query .
For instance, how Simbad database TAP system will be able to generate
the appropriate MODEL elements for this kind of request "/SELECT s_ra
from basic/").
If I am right, I am afraid that the MODEL mapping will be extremely
difficult to implement in the framework of TAP.

Cheers
Pierre