Simple Cone Search 1.1 - (new) internal WD

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Oct 10 11:47:42 CEST 2017

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017, Marco Molinaro wrote:

> > > 4 - trying or not to use UCD1+
> >
> > Pretty please?  We allow access to our tables via a number of
> > protocols (SIA2, SSA, SCS, TAP).  I really, really, really do not want
> > to maintain different UCD's for each protocol.
> >

> I also (will) have a solution where these annotations are all into
> the same place, and having protocols with different requirements
> is not efficient.
>
> So, point taken, (+1 for me if you want) but we need the other
> stakeholders to speak up.

If that includes me: such a change wouldn't break anything in topcat.
I have long done intentionally sloppy UCD matching that will match
RA/DEC/ID UCD-like strings for either UCD1 or UCD1+ (and a few weird
variants besides).

Obviously it's not great having different UCDs for different standards,
but again I don't know if it's worth potentially breaking stuff to
align these things; as Markus says, it doesn't look like it should
be all that hard to work around the status quo on the server side.
I'm not currently weighing in on either side, but from the pragmatic
point of view of my software, such a change wouldn't cause a problem.