Simple Cone Search 1.1 - (new) internal WD

JBerthier jerome.berthier at obspm.fr
Wed Oct 11 00:59:32 CEST 2017

Dear all,

I understand to not break back-compatibility, but after 10 years waiting
for an update of CS, I think we can (must) move forward to open the
protocol to time domain applications, such as solar system science. Even
if you were thinking to a minor release, I think this should be a 2.0
release to prepare the future (e.g. big data catalogs). Not to change
the protocol in depth with theoretical things, but to be pragmatic and
just add what is missing to do science with the protocol.

On 10/10/2017 09:28 AM, Marco Molinaro wrote:
> Dear Jerome,
> can you expand a bit on this?
>
> I mean. I know epoch is critical, but having EPOCH
> as a query parameter may mean:
>
> - asking it to be a mandatory one: break back-compatibility

yes in the framework of a minor release. But is a minor release really
useful ? I guess the old CS services didn't wait to be updated to
implement modern stuff in order to be usable. Thus actual CS services
may already not be fully compliant with the old specification.

> - letting it be optional: will this be enough for your use cases?

yes, it's enough. But is it so breaking for an old service to not take
care of a new parameter? I think no more than a service that uses an
unspecified parameter (e.g. Skybot uses the EPOCH parameter for 10 years
and no human complained, just machines ;) )

> - require service to transform internal epoch to client required one?

no, the client provide an epoch (ISO format or julian day) to the
service which uses it to compute the positions of the celestial objects
(planets, stars, ...) in order to select those which actually belong to
the FOV, so that the client can cross-match the sources and then
identify them. In the output the epoch is just recalled in a param element.

cheers
jerome

--
--- Dr. Jerome Berthier ------------------ Phone: +33 (0)14051 2261 --
     Institut de mecanique celeste            Fax: +33 (0)14633 2834 --