SAMP over HTTPS progress

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 15:30:20 CEST 2016

Hallo SAMP users.

(I have sent this to the apps as well as the apps-samp list, since
I'm not sure if all the potentially interested people are subscribed
to apps-samp, but I suggest followups to apps-samp at ivoa.net only).

I have done some more work on the prototype SAMP-over-HTTPS protocol
that I discussed in Cape Town and elsewhere.  Though hilariously
convoluted in design, it is now working fairly reliably for me,
though I've so far had no reports of it working for other people.
I have documented the current state here:

   http://andromeda.star.bristol.ac.uk/websamp/

It gives an idea of how it works and how you can try it out.

I still don't know whether it makes sense to put this into a future
version of the SAMP standard.  If you have an interest in that
happening (i.e. if you may want to deploy SAMP-capable web applications
from an HTTPS server), please take a look.  We can consider where
to go on the basis of any feedback.