HiPS IVOA standardization process

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Jan 5 12:17:35 CET 2016

Dear HiPS contributors and providers (and IVOA Apps and registry members)

For helping to the HiPS IVOA standardization decided at Sydney, we need
to homogeneize as far as possible the AUTHORITY ID of the HiPS
identifiers (IVOID)  in order to reuse the AUTHORITY IDs already defined
in the VO registry or to create the missing AUTHORITY IDs in the VO
registry.

For a HiPS, the AUTHORITY ID is the first word in the "publisher_did"
field provided in each HiPS properties file (HiPS v1.3 specification ex:
http://alasky.unistra.fr/SUMSS/properties).
For retrieving the AUTHORITY IDs already defined in the VO registry, use
this URL:
http://registry.euro-vo.org/result.jsp?searchMethod=XPathQLSearch&select=%23ResourceType%23%3D%27Authority%27

The comparison of both lists suggests these actions:

  * ivo://SSC/... => to be substituted in HiPS properties file by:
    ivo://xcatdb/...
  * ivo://CADC/... => to be substituted in HiPS properties fileby:
    ivo://cadc.nrc.ca/...
  * ivo://CDS/... => to be substituted in HiPS properties file by:
    ivo://CDS.Aladin/... and ivo://CDS.VizieR/...
  * ivo://IRAP/... =>to be substituted in HiPS properties fileby:
    ivo://ov-gso/...
  * ivo://arches/... => to be created in the VO registry
  * ivo://AMIGA/... => to be created in the VO registry
  * ivo://ESAVO/... => ok (ivo://esavo is already VO defined)

I am preparing a perl script processing these substitutions for a whole
HiPS node (local HiPS and eventual mirror copies for avoiding to
resynchronize whole HiPS clones) based on a simple list of HiPS paths.

May I suggest to all current HiPS providers to:

 1. Check the substitution proposal, validate my suggestion, or provide
    an alternative.
 2. Do the substitions in your own HiPS properties files (or ask me to
    use my perl script in order to do it more easily)
 3. Create the missing AUTHORITY ID in the VO registry if required =>
    http://registry.euro-vo.org/insert.jsp?identifier=esa://empty.doc/Authority&action=new

As far as I know these modifications can be done immediately without
breaking the HiPS existing clients access (Aladin Lite, Aladin Desktop,
VAO portal, MIZAR, ...)

Best regards
Pierre Fernique

PS. Please, if required, reply on apps at ivo.net list only - for HiPS
providers not registered yet in this list, do not hesitate to do it for
following the thread (http://mail.ivoa.net/mailman/listinfo/apps)