FW: Scripts to access TAP, SIAP2 and SODA

James.Dempsey at csiro.au James.Dempsey at csiro.au
Thu Apr 14 09:27:47 CEST 2016

Hi,

I originally sent this to the DAL list, but it was suggested that I should post it here too.

We've produced a couple of example python scripts to get our astronomers started using our VO services. I thought they might be of interest to the community here too. The two scripts have good internal documentation and are intended to be a starting point for more specific needs.

We have two sample scripts currently available at https://github.com/csiro-rds/casda-samples :

*         siap.py - Queries CASDA's SIAv2 service to find images that overlap a particular sky region, then starts an async SODA job to retrieve them; and

*         cutouts.py - Uses CASDA's TAP and SODA services to obtain cut-out images around all bright sources in a particular observation.

There is extensive documentation at http://www.atnf.csiro.au/observers/data/casdaguide.html , see sections 4.2 and 4.3.

Both scripts demonstrate why we have seen multiple values for parameters as quite useful in SODA. However I fully agree that multiple values shouldn't be required of all implementers.

Note: The scripts access services which require OPAL credentials. To register with OPAL, go to http://opal.atnf.csiro.au/ and click on the link to 'Register'. Enter your email address, name, affiliation and a password. The OPAL application will register you straight away and you can use the credentials immediately in the scripts.

Cheers,
James Dempsey