regarding ALTTYPE [was RE: vo-dml in votable]

Tom Donaldson tdonaldson at stsci.edu
Thu Mar 12 15:41:47 CET 2015

Hi Pierre and all,

I see many benefits in Marks proposal, but I do have some concerns.  Allowing VODML, etc. in the syntax without too much description of their semantics or usage certainly allows us the chance to evolve those sematics without frequest changes to the standard.  However, I do see a correlation between a lack of specific sematics and a lack of interoperability.  It seems to me that constructs like GROUPs were similarly loosely specified, and consequently have been largely ignored by clients due to the wide variety of possible interpretations.

I think this flexible approach may be fine, but I'd be more comfortable if we commit to trying to specify the semantics relatively soon as opposed to leaving them permanently flexible.  If our intention is to allow a placeholder element where two peers can exchange whatever they like, then we should add a generic element to the syntax expressly for that purpose, but in a case like this where we hope that multiple clients can understand the same metadata from multiple resources, then I think we should work to nail it down.

Thanks,
Tom