ADASS BoF: Distributed operations in astronomy

Mcglynn, Thomas A. (GSFC-6601) Thomas.A.McGlynn at NASA.gov
Wed Sep 24 20:53:14 CEST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

At this year's ADASS I'm trying to set up a BoF to discuss how we can
manage tools that use resources at multiple centers to be effective and
robust.  While many (most?) of these might use VO standards, the focus
isn't to be on the standards that are being implemented, but on dealing
with the purely operational issues:  Are these services up?  What's
their reliability? Who do I contact if they are down?  Is there a mirror
site? How do I tell my users that my service is fine but they can't do
what they want because someone else's is down? Can I notify people in
advance if there's to be a scheduled outage?  What do I do if someone
else's service is adversely affecting my web site?  ...

The Apps group focus is on the integration of VO standards within our
applications. VO-based applications are generally distributed so that
these operational issues are particularly likely to arise.  As we
continue to develop tools that use remote services as integral elements,
some framework for working as a community to 'manage' these dependencies
is becoming essential.

I don't claim to have solutions to these issues, but I'm hoping at the
BoF that we can begin a community-wide discussion and see where it leads.

Currently the BoF is scheduled for Wednesday at ADASS in Calgary.  If
you are interested and plan to attend ADASS please join the discussion.
  If you aren't able to attend, please send me your thoughts and ideas
to throw into the mix.  Hope to see you in Calgary or hear from you in
e-mail.

     Regards,
     Tom McGlynn
     NASA/HEASARC