Java library for DAL protocols ?

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Jul 10 06:23:34 PDT 2012

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012, Thomas Boch wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for a Java library which would ease the querying of DAL services
> (cone search, SSAP and SIAP would be a good start). I am aware of the
> existence of DALclient, but could not find any download link.
> Any link appreciated.
> Thanks,

Thomas,

I can point you to some fairly reusable code in the STILTS/TOPCAT
code base for doing cone/SIA/SSA queries (see package uk.ac.starlink.vo
at http://andromeda.star.bris.ac.uk/starjavadocs/), but it's hardly
worth stealing.
The protocols are easy to use, and the hard work for making use
of them tends to be in deciding what query to make and what to do
with the result (i.e. the user interface), which is not very
transferable.

Actually submitting the query is just a case of forming a suitable
&name=value... URL.  Making sense of the result requires a VOTable
parser - of course I can direct you to one of those if you want.
I do have relatively freestanding (you don't need the whole of
TOPCAT) GUI components which take care of querying the registry
for suitable services, asking the user what positions are of
interest, submitting the query and presenting the output, if
you're interested, but they may be a bit specific for whatever
your purposes are.