Spectral cutout service

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Tue Sep 30 06:18:15 PDT 2008

Hi Bob,

This is exactly what I mean - the chapters about virtual data and
service types are very general and it is the reason why I am asking for
more detail. In 4.1.1 is written that BAND is mandatory and service should
use it (and other params) to CONSTRAIN query.

What I want to do is just get all Halpha regions from a bunch of spectra
(e.g.) - advantage for especially echelle merged spectra - it will
download quickly and show only what you want.

And to be done the easiest way I simple want to create one service for
cutout and one for whole spectra.

so

http://myarchive/archive.cgi?POS=..&SIZE=..&BAND=6350e-10/6780e-10&FORMAT=FITS

would give whole spectra containing Halfa line

http://myarchive/cutout.cgi?POS=..&SIZE=&BAND=6450e-10/6780e-10&FORMAT=FITS

would deliver only the Halfa region - This seams to me now the easiest way
and it requires only the BAND that is already supported (AFAIK) in
SPLAT-VO.

But I would like to have this approved before implementing...

but the spectral bandpass can be a numeric range list, as is shown
> in the example in section 4.1.1.3 of SSAP V1.04.

  This range can be used to
> limit the scope of a search, but an SSAP service could (but is not required
> to) generate a spectral cutout for just the requested region.

This is what I did not seen in SSAP (talking about BAND)

Thanks for supporting my idea ...

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute AS CR       Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                                                       *