SAMP implementation

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Nov 18 03:48:39 PST 2008

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Pierre Fernique wrote:

> The new Aladin release should be ready around next January.
> Could we have an idea of the list of VO tools which will support SAMP at this
> date ?

    TOPCAT:
       I plan there will be a public release which supports SAMP before
       the start of January (a pre-release is already available)

    SPLAT:
       I plan there will be a public release which supports SAMP before
       the end (maybe the start) of January.

    GAIA:
       Probably the next public release of GAIA will support SAMP - the
       timescale for this is determined by the JACH release schedule,
       but it will likely be 2Q2009.

TOPCAT like Aladin can operate in either SAMP or PLASTIC mode, determined
at startup by the following logic:
    if ( SAMP hub is running ) {
       -> SAMP mode
    } else if ( PLASTIC hub is running ) {
       -> PLASTIC mode
    } else if ( -samp/-plastic flag given on command line ) {
       -> SAMP/PLASTIC mode
    } else {
       -> SAMP mode
    }

SPLAT may do the same or may only support SAMP, I haven't decided yet.
GAIA will probably only support SAMP.