SAMP/PLASTIC and astronomers

Christophe Arviset Christophe.Arviset at esa.int
Thu Jun 26 05:55:08 PDT 2008

Mark

Quoting Mark Taylor <m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk>:

> I think one general point which may be appropriate to make in some
> cases is that application interoperability is not strictly VO business in
> the sense that, say, DAL protocols are.  Despite the IVOA provenance,
> developers of applications which do not view themselves as virtual
> observatory tools should not feel that this technology is not for
> them.
That's a very good point!
In the context of the Herschel project at ESAC, we are using Plastic to
interface the Herschel Data Processing System (developed by a different
team) with the Herschel Science Archive (developped by the ESA Science
Archives and VO Team). This is not "strictly" VO, although we have used
our VO experience to propose this solution which fits well the needs
for applications intercommunication.

--
Thanks in advance

Cheers

Christophe

Christophe ARVISET                       Christophe.Arviset at esa.int

European Space Agency (ESA)
European Space Astronomy Centre (ESAC)
Science Operations Department
Science Archives and Computer Support Engineering Unit

P.O. Box 78
28691 Villanueva de la Canada                 Tel: +34 91 813 12 78
Madrid - SPAIN                                Fax: +34 91 813 13 08

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The
unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify
the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
for any e-mail if modified.