vote on Proposed changes to PLASTIC for 1.0

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Sun May 13 16:55:29 PDT 2007

Hi Mark -

I have only time for a quick response.  What you describe looks
reasonable except that the core thing is not a "messaging data model"
but a "messaging model".  It is as much about the messaging semantics
(delivery options etc.) as about the information content of the core
message container.   I guess we just get too used to talking about
data models, but system modeling is not the same thing.

Probably what is needed in an architecture and design for the core
messaging model, plus at least two protocol/API specifications with
associated implementations.  This is 2 and 3 in your note below.
I agree that these can't be complete separated, at least in the sense
that one can't be confident of a specification without implementations.
One of these implementations would be a PLASTIC-like API, another could
address other use cases such as general messaging with other content
models via a container API.  The point would be to demonstrate some
degree of interoperability upon the same core messaging implementation.

In terms of schedule a reasonable goal might be to have a start on
this for the fall interop, with early implementations and a more
complete specification within a year (probably following on from the
fall interop).

	- Doug