Applications Messaging Standard

Isa Barbarisi Isa.Barbarisi at sciops.esa.int
Wed Feb 21 01:57:37 PST 2007

Dear all,

from the Client point of view I completely agree with Thomas about doing
things as simply as possible, as initially planned. This can encourage
developers to use the Plastic technology and get on board as soon as
possible, giving the possibility to work on what really matters: messages.
Orphaned files can be deleted after a proper check of their status. For
example, when VOSpec tries to connect to the hub and fails I check if
there is a dot file. If there is no dot file I start an internal one, if
there is a dot file I just throw an Exception. Of course here I could be
a little bit more intelligent and delete it..
I also agree with John that transferring complexity to the server side
is the best approach. We are currently few applications using Plastic
and we didn't find serious problems for the lack of elegance.

At the end simplicity was one of the first Plastic goals and I
definitely propose to stay on this line as much as possible.

Best Regards,
Isa Barbarisi

Thomas Boch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As for the bootstrap process, I'm still not convinced that we need a
> socket-based approach. Sure, it is more elegant than the file-based one,
> but to me, this elegance does not counterbalance the additional
> complexity at the client side.
>
> Are orphaned files really a problem ? If an application reads such a
> file, tries to connect to the hub and fails, it sounds sensible to
> consider this hub as dead, to delete the dot file, and start up a new
> hub.
>
> I think that one of the reasons of the rapid take-up of PLASTIC is its
> simplicity. I have nothing against designing a complex architecture, as
> long as we gain benefits from this complexity.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The
unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify
the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
for any e-mail if modified.