Applications Messaging Standard

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 03:51:28 PST 2007

Yes, I thought we were making different assumptions here.

> about only how to communicate with an existing (running) hub,

I'd tend to agree with Mark: the messaging standard is about the above. The
standard should include what a hub does to make known that it is running and
how plastic apps find out how to communicate with the hub. And, for now, the
only solution we all agree might work is that the hub writes a file into
some common area (~/.ivoamsg) and that file contains the mode by which
communications with the hub take place.

BUT we're still stuck with the problem of embedded hubs and what happens if
they go away. Personally, I think the simplest solution is to mandate that
hubs can only be stand-alone.

THEN we get onto the issue (if we want to address it - could leave it to the
user to sort out) of how a running plastic app can find and invoke the hub.

T.

http://www.Taglocity.com Tags: IVOA, apps