Applications Messaging Standard

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 03:24:29 PST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, John Taylor wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2007, at 09:25, Tony Linde wrote:
>> Can I ask if we all are talking about the same thing here? What are we
>> trying to discover at runtime with this file-based mechanism?
>>
>> Where the hub is and how to invoke it?
>> How to communicate with the hub?
>> What other plastic apps are running and what they can do?
>
> Hi Tony,
> I believe we are just trying to discover where the hub is and how to invoke
> it.

Not sure if I'm being pedantic here, but I'd say we're talking here
about only how to communicate with an existing (running) hub,
not how to invoke it - invoke to me means start up a process which
runs a hub, and that's not what the ~/.ivoamsg file would do.
Invoking a hub is, to me, an implementation thing.

>     For instance, if a hub supported xmlrpc as a wire protocol then it would
> need to get the URL of its xmlrpc server to the clients, perhaps by writing
> this URL into a file in a well-known location.  Thereafter, all the discovery
> of other applications and their capabilities takes place by talking to the
> hub on this URL.

.. but I agree with this explanation.