Applications Messaging Standard

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Feb 15 03:47:57 PST 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Tony Linde wrote:

> The obvious answer to this in the windows environment is the registry: the
> hub writes its info there when installed and everyone knows where to look
> for it. If we're looking at more than one hub app then a new one installed
> on a client machine overwrites the info left by the previously installed
> one. In the linux arena, which I believe lacks any such central organising
> entity, we could use the previous suggestion of a file left in an obvious
> place.

Tony,

my knowledge of Windows and its registry is pretty sketchy, but if
we were looking for a Windows-only solution that sounds like rather a
good idea.  Unfortunately, as you say, there's no such thing in,
e.g., Linux [Taylor in admission of Windows superiority shock horror].
Using different mechanisms on different platforms is something I
believe we should avoid where possible, so unless there's some
reason why it's an especially bad idea to write temporary
files in a user's home directory on Windows I think we're better
off falling back to the the $HOME/.ivoamsg idea on both platforms.

> Another option, which I *think* might work in both environments is to create
> a new mime type with the hub app 'registered' (whatever that means in linux)
> as the handler for that mime type. Plastic apps store their information in
> files of that type and then look for the app which handles that mime type
> and throw their config files at it (if it is running or invokes it first if
> not). Would that work?

Not sure if I totally understand this one or not.  However, regarding
platform dependency issues: the idea of associating applications with
MIME types does exist on Unix-like platforms, but it's much more
sloppily defined and enforced than on Windows, and in most cases
it's not easy (often effectively impossible) for application code to
work out what application is suitable for a given MIME type.
So I suspect this idea is also problematic for cross-platform
implementation.