Applications Messaging Standard

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Thu Feb 15 03:47:17 PST 2007

Hi John,

 > whatever solution we choose should be platform and
 > language neutral.

agreed.

 > Unfortunately, there's no way
 > for Python, Perl and everyone else to use it.

I'd be surprised if there weren't libraries for getting the windows
registry info - not sure what java does so don't know about that.

 > Our current thinking is that we pass the "hub"'s info to the app, and
 > the app makes the initial connection.  Are you suggesting that the app
 > should write out its information, and the "hub" is then invoked to read
 > it and connect to the app?    Hmmm, I don't think I've made this any
 > clearer - I'm going to get a strong coffee.

Maybe I tried to suggest too much. All I was suggesting was that
associating a mime type with an application seems to be applicable to
all platforms and might be a way for any app to find out where the hub
is and how to get it started. The messaging protocol then takes over.
Maybe we never actually use the mime type on any files.

T.