Advanced Messaging Features [was Re: Applications Messaging Standard

John Taylor jontayler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 03:20:31 PST 2007

On 8 Feb 2007, at 10:20, Alasdair Allan wrote:

> Noel Winstanley wrote:
>> Plastic has a lot less support for security, transactions, and
>> other things that typically concern enterprise software. If a
>> plastic message is dropped, or even spoofed or intercepted, it's
>> assumed that this isn't the end of the world.
>
> I think this is a good assumption, we shouldn't over-engineer our
> solution. Things like quality of service and guaranteed delivery
> add a whole layer of complexity we don't really need for the task
> at hand.
>
> I also don't think we need support for (much) security, and I don't
> really want to go near logging or transactions, again I don't think
> its needed.

<plasticSpecific>

It does occur to me that some of these more complicated features
could actually be optional.  There's no reason why someone couldn't
build a Hub that supported (say) guaranteed ordering of messages (the
only reason I don't guarantee it now is that it simplifies the impl
and means that you don't risk messages backing up due to one
slowcoach application).   Then, if an application needed this feature
it could send the hub a message:
ivo://foo/hub/enableGuaranteedOrdering

Security is a bit of a tricky one - I'd like to resurrect Mark T's
ideas on this one.  He had a few changes to the API to consider that
would stop apps spoofing each other and make it harder for other
users on your machine to hack your hub.  The changes weren't that
major....though they do slightly complicate the API (clients need to
keep track of a public ID and a secret key instead of just the
former).  I'm in two minds on this -  I'd like to know whether app
developers are happy to pay this small price in return for filling in
the most obvious security holes.

</plasticSpecific>