USNO Cone search on Google Earth

Alberto Conti aconti at stsci.edu
Tue Aug 28 06:42:37 PDT 2007

Actually we are working with Ryan Scranton, Andrew Connolly and Simon
Krugoff on something that will allow the plotting on a large number
of pushpins in a "region-based" way.
Carol and her summer students have spent a lot of time testing all
sorts of catalogs.
I am looking at a VOTable to KML translator, in my spare time...

Stay tuned.
-A

On Aug 27, 2007, at 9:36 PM, Shui Kwok wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I have put together a proof-of-concept PHP script that enables
> Google Earth to use VO Cone Search data.
>
> For now I only hard coded USNO-1B.
>

> The link to the KML is:
>
> http://www2.keck.hawaii.edu/software/gsky/usno1bKML.php
>

> The browser will download a KML file and start Google Earth if it
> is not running.
>
> Maximum search radius is set to 0.1deg to limit the download time.
>

> When you download the KML for the first time, Google Earth will
> perform a cone search with search radius set to half of the field
> of view, up to 0.1 deg. Results will be displayed after the
> download is completed. Watch the animated icon under Temporary Places.
>
> When navigating to another location,  right-click on “USNO-1B
> catalog” under Temporary Places and then refresh, that will perform
> a new cone search centered at the new location.
>

> I don’t know how current is this. May be Google is working on this
> type of service already.
>

> Please let me know if there is a problem with the link.
>
> (Known bug: the apache server sometimes crashes, just refresh and
> repeat).
>

> Aloha,
>

> Shui

  Dr Alberto Conti
Community Missions Office Development Manager
Space Telescope Science Institute
contact | tel: 410-338-4534 | aim: wscience