USNO Cone search on Google Earth

Shui Kwok skwok at keck.hawaii.edu
Mon Aug 27 18:36:34 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I have put together a proof-of-concept PHP script that enables Google
Earth to use VO Cone Search data.

For now I only hard coded USNO-1B.

The link to the KML is:

http://www2.keck.hawaii.edu/software/gsky/usno1bKML.php

The browser will download a KML file and start Google Earth if it is not
running.

Maximum search radius is set to 0.1deg to limit the download time.

When you download the KML for the first time, Google Earth will perform
a cone search with search radius set to half of the field of view, up to
0.1 deg. Results will be displayed after the download is completed.
Watch the animated icon under Temporary Places.

When navigating to another location,  right-click on "USNO-1B catalog"
under Temporary Places and then refresh, that will perform a new cone
search centered at the new location.

I don't know how current is this. May be Google is working on this type
of service already.

Please let me know if there is a problem with the link.

(Known bug: the apache server sometimes crashes, just refresh and
repeat).

Aloha,

Shui