Apps Messaging - Twin track?

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 08:23:09 PDT 2007

Mike,

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:
>                                                                   I put
> myself in John's 'perfect design' camp not because I crave complexity,
> but because plastic does not satisfy MY requirements (actual as well
> as what I believe is needed for apps other than simple tools) for a
> messaging system.  If a plastic roadmap can't fix that, I guess I'll
> never see the charm in it.

apologies if we've covered this already and more recent parts of
the debate have displaced it in my short term memory, but can you
give one or more examples of which messaging requirements you have
which cannot be satisfied by PLASTIC?  It would be good to add a use
case or two which fits this description to the wiki page:

    http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/ApplicationsMessagingUseCases

so we can make sure that whatever we end up with does actually solve
the problems which we need solved.  I've just (belatedly) added one
of my own which represents one of the scenarios which PLASTIC can
handle well and which I think it's important that any replacement of
it can do too.