Apps Messaging Manifesto

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Apr 11 07:30:10 PDT 2007

This has been an entertaining discussion for those of us in the
peanut gallery.  The diversity of opinions is quite marked.  I wonder
if this is because nothing like a true manifesto has been stated as
yet.  A manifesto should begin with a simple declarative statement of
a shared vision, for example:

	The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class
struggles.

or:

	The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster
for the human race.

or:

	GNU [...] is the name for the complete Unix-compatible software
system which I am writing so that I can give it away free [...]

(Stallman could have benefited from having Engels as an editor.)

Can anyone sum up the essence of astronomical application messaging
in a single sentence?  Also, what is the name of this project?  GNU
demonstrates the value of picking a clever name.  (Linux shows the
greater value of naming software in Finnish.)

Rob Seaman
NOAO