Apps Messaging Manifesto

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed Apr 11 07:07:34 PDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Thomas Boch wrote:

> Apart from John, is anybody else planning to write a 'hub'
> implementation ?

I have a quite different use-case for my scalable framework project
(this is the project in which OPTICON is also involved).  This is
a distributed execution framework, in which applications written
in languages like Python and Java can execute "components", e.g.,
tasks, which plug into the framework via a container of some sort.
We will use this for things such a data processing pipelines (some of
us actually still process data from telescopes) as well as desktop data
processing and analysis.  An important requirement is scalability,
which requires distributed processing.  Messaging is an essential
element of such a distributed system.

My hope is that we can re-use the basic messaging model we are
discussing here, e.g., as the basis for the messaging APIs exposed by
our container.  We would also implement the simplified "hub" interface,
so that all these wonderfully "open" community-developed desktop
apps/tools could hopefully plug-in and be used without modification.

 	- Doug