Apps Messaging - Semantics of a Message

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Tue Apr 10 11:48:59 PDT 2007

Phillip Warner wrote:
> I'm not in disagreement.  Please re-read, and ensure that your copy
> has
> an 'e.g.', in that I merely used Java as an example.  8^)

You knew I was lurking... ;)

> In fact, why not define a standard for transport, say, e.g., XML, so
> that the transfer between app and messaging implementation can be
> further abstracted?  Say then, if my implementation listens on a TCP
> socket, it can accept the XML from anyone.

I wouldn't be adverse to encoding the message content in XML. So long
as we keep the XML trivially simple, something we could hack together
on the back of an envelope is probably as far as we want to go,
that's fine. We're not looking for grandiose visions with multiple
schema and includes and other fancy stuff at this point.

Al.