Apps Messaging - Semantics of a Message

Phillip Warner pwarner at noao.edu
Tue Apr 10 11:33:37 PDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:25:37 +0100
Alasdair Allan <aa at astro.ex.ac.uk> wrote:

> Phil,
>
> Phillip Warner wrote:
> > To take this a step further, if you use, e.g., Java interfaces,
> > you can
> > specify what the underlying messaging infrastructure should be
> > capable of, and leave it up to the programmer to implement the
> > details.
>
> Repeat after me...
>
>     Language neutrality, language neutrality, language neutrality!

I'm not in disagreement.  Please re-read, and ensure that your copy has
an 'e.g.', in that I merely used Java as an example.  8^)

In fact, why not define a standard for transport, say, e.g., XML, so
that the transfer between app and messaging implementation can be
further abstracted?  Say then, if my implementation listens on a TCP
socket, it can accept the XML from anyone.

Cheers,

Phil