Registering client-side applications

John Taylor jdt at roe.ac.uk
Tue Aug 23 09:58:38 PDT 2005

Hi,
Is anyone in the registry working group looking at how we can register
client-side applications?  The sort of use case I have in mind is:
a user searches the registry via some portal for a visualization tool
that (say) displays multi-D datasets.  After selecting a suitable
application the portal offers to download and install the software (and
maybe even launches it with the dataset he was working on).

This doesn't seem to fit into the examples on
http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/VOResourceV010
so I think it would require a new extension to the VOResource schema.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has already thought about the sort
of meta-data we'd need to record for client-side apps.  Bob - excuse me
mailing you directly as well as posting to the forum.  Noel Winstanley
tells me that you have already worked on this in a previous life and may
have some ideas about it.

Regards,
John

[Cross posting to apps to get the topic started, but please reply only
to registry at ivoa.net]

VOTech (DS6: Data Exploration)
http://wiki.eurovotech.org/bin/view/VOTech/DataExploration
Tel: +44 131 6688329