Specview with VO interface released

Ivo Busko busko at stsci.edu
Thu Apr 14 07:39:16 PDT 2005

Hello, Philippe

Overploting models is something that can be done right
now in specview. See this page:

http://specview.stsci.edu/javahelp/Templates.html

Basically a model is a spectrum like any other, in
which the units for the flux axis are *not* part of
the current specview units library. This is a temporary
solution though, one must base the decision, I guess,
on the flux UCD or something in those lines.

However, doing quantitative comparisons, as required by a
fitting algorithm, is another matter. There are three
parts to this problem:

1 - we should be able to access model data and make it
available to the specview fitting code in an efficient way.
It doesn't matter if we use a SSAP-type access, or a web
services type of access, in both cases we should be able
to access the data with queries that are based on the model
physical parameters. A caching mechanism should probably
be necessary as well in order to prevent duplicate retrievals
from the remote site.

2 - one must add a "spectral component" to the existing
library of spectral components in specview. This can be
done right now by the specview user (if anyone is willing to
try :-) ). It will be implemented later on in the specview
component library distributed with the software, whenever we
can solve issue (1) above.

3 - the actual data being fitted should provide "resolution"
or "bandpass" information for each data point, so the proper
resampling and chi-squared computations can be performed. This
is addressed by the Resolution and/or Accuracy elements of
the SED data model, but implementation is still on the air.
Can we populate those elements on an ad-hoc basis, using, say,
the distance in wavelength between successive data points in
a spectrum as a measure of the bandpass of each data point?

-Ivo