Charter for the VO Applications Interest Group

Alberto Micol Alberto.Micol at eso.org
Wed Mar 24 03:42:25 PST 2004

Dear Tom,

Regarding the charter of the applications interst group
I was thinking that it would be nice if such group could discuss
things like "how applications interact" maybe establishing a standard
for that. For example, the main  AVO demo tool (Aladin) needs to interact
with specview, voplot, and others in various ways. The way this was done
for the AVO demo was to declare those other applications "plugins" of
Aladin.
Do not ask me the details because I do not know them, you might contact
Pierre Fernique for that :-)
Also, once a catalog is passed from Aladin to a plugin (eg voplot)
there is the need to have the plugin talking back to the main application
(for example highlighting a point in voplot makes Aladin highlighting
the catalog entry and its relative identifier onto the displayed image).

So the question would be, what's a VOPlugin ? What are the necessary
interfaces to that an application should support to be able to
invoke plugins, or to be invoked as a plugin?

That's my suggestion for the charter of this interest group.

Alberto