SAMP browser plugin? Re: SAMP and HTTPS workaround?

Zorba, Sonia sonia.zorba at inaf.it
Thu Oct 17 15:17:51 CEST 2019

Dear all,
I'm not completely sure you received my previous mail (I wasn't in the
apps-samp list yet). Anyway, I would just like to share some results
I've found.

I did a couple of experiments and I was able to perform an http call
from an https page using a Browser Extension (same code for Firefox
and Chrome).
Indeed the docs specify that extensions can obtain extra permissions:
«XMLHttpRequest and fetch access to those origins without cross-origin
restrictions» (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/permissions)

To achieve this it is necessary to add the specific permission in the
manifest.json:
"permissions": [
  "*://localhost/*"
]

Browser Extensions have 2 kinds of scripts: content script and
background script.
Firefox allows the cross-origin call from both the scripts, Chrome
only from the background script (solvable passing from the content
script to the background script: https://stackoverflow.com/a/55215898)
Trying to do the call from the content script Chrome blocks the
request due to CORB (another recent thing to consider together with
CORS, https://www.chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/corb-for-developers)
I didn't receive any "mixed content" error.

A custom event can be used to call the extension content script from a
page script:
document.dispatchEvent(new CustomEvent('eventToSampExtension', {
detail: data }));

So, the flow could be something like: page script --(event)->
extension content script --(extension API)-> extension background
script --(http)-> SAMP hub

I hope to be able to share some working code in the next weeks.

Cheers,
Sonia