[jmmc-tech-group] SAMP meta-data extensions ?

Laurent Bourgès bourges.laurent at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 03:16:43 PST 2012

Dear mark,

I am very fed up with IVOA members always working more on their own
projects than for the community:

I mean having loose (too relaxed) IVOA standards is not the right answer to
interoperability issues because only the minimal required subset is then
implemented and interoperability is minimal.

For example: VOTable is for me a loose standard because there is too many
way to provide data (TABLEDATA, FITS, BINARY, BINARY2 ...) with all their
own options (several encoding ...).

Please KEEP IT SIMPLE as currently implementing VOTABLE completely is a
very complex task because of its many cases and only partial
implementations exists for now (maybe topcat is one of the best one but it
is not perfect).

Concerning SAMP meta data, it's the same problem: loose standard i.e. SAMP
meta data have no data model (DM WG) whereas it was done few years ago in
Application Registry DM !

Moreover, SAMP meta data are all optional and no mandatory even the samp
application name.

Why do you encourage such things ? Why SIMPLE, concrete and explicit
standards fears you ?

Our SAMP meta proposal consists in extending and making the SAMP meta data
explicit and in future defined in an uniform way: our ultimate goal is to
provide a VO software center (app store) to the community as we started by
providing JMMC AppLauncher: http://www.mariotti.fr/applauncher_page.htm

Best regards,
Laurent