[jmmc-tech-group] SAMP meta-data extensions ?

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 05:11:52 PST 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012, Sylvain LAFRASSE wrote:

> >> Except for meta-data harvesting, indexing and publication !
> >
> > I think the thing I don't understand is: what actual problems does this
> > solve?  Harvesting, indexing and publishing metadata is not an end
> > in itself, so what useful things does it allow you to do that you
> > couldn't do otherwise?
>
> For example if you want to present harvested data consistently across all applications, and so on.
> You can't guess the mining of meta-data without standardizing keywords first (especially for non-machine stuff, like authors list, descriptions, ....)

That's certainly true as far as it goes.  But what I'm asking is,
what are the (scientific?) use cases for presenting harvested data
in that way?  From a data consumer's point of view, why is it useful
or important to be able to access the (e.g.) the location of release
notes for a range of different applications in a uniform way?