x-samp namespace suggestion

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Sep 27 10:08:48 PDT 2011

Juande,

thanks for the careful reading.

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011, Juande Santander Vela wrote:

> One question: why saying MAY here?
>
> The ``{\tt samp}'' and ``{\tt x-samp}'' form of the same key
> SHOULD NOT be presented in the same map, but if they are,
> the ``{\tt samp}'' form MAY be considered to take precedence.
>
> As far as I see it, that MAY should be a SHOULD, to allow for predictability.

My thinking was to reduce the burden on implementors, in cases where
the outcome doesn't really matter.  If a map with both keys is presented,
whoever produced it has done something wrong, and the consumer
shouldn't be expected to put much effort into behaving properly;
the MAY is just there to give a hint which way to jump if somebody
wants to try hard to do the right thing, but in any case doing either
is likely to be reasonable.  If it was SHOULD, then client authors
(with a conscience) might have to spend effort dealing with a case
which is unlikely to occur.

> I cannot foresee an scenario where a client would do different for x-samp.X than for samp.X, outside of system prototyping that should not reach users...

Some kind of bug is the most likely cause; but agreed, it is not
expected to happen.

Mark