Spectrum load MType(s)

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Apr 8 04:56:45 PDT 2009

Hi,

The spectrum load MType I proposed a month ago (below) hasn't attracted
any adverse comment, so I presume that people think it's reasonable.
Furthermore, following private discussions, something along these
lines has been implemented and works in (test versions of) SPLAT,
Aladin, JSkyCat and VODesktop.  The prototype MType actually used
in these applications resembles the "spectrum.load.ssa" message I
proposed in my original message, except that it's called
"spectrum.load.ssa-generic".  This somewhat unwieldy name arose
because I was thinking about maybe having different MTypes for
different SSA versions ...  I actually was planning to rename it
before it was public, but others wrote code that used it, so it
seems to have stuck.

I suggest that I add the definition to the SampMTypes wiki page
at the end of this week, thus making it 'official'
(as official as MTypes get) and then applications using it can
be released and interoperate.  However, if anyone feels that it
would be better to rename it (to ...?) before that, say so and
it's probably not too late for the authors of the applications
in question to make the change (for my part, I could easily change
the name in SPLAT).

Mark