SAMP in SkyView

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Wed Nov 5 13:33:38 PST 2008

The demonstrations of SAMP in scripting environments at the IVOA were
pretty impressive. I was motivated to put in a SAMP capability into the
standalone version of SkyView.  It was pretty easy to add in using
Mark's JSAMP package.  All that it does is generate
image.load.fits messages whenever SkyView generates an image.  E.g.,
if there's a SAMP hub and the SAMPified version of Aladin running
one can just enter

     skyview survey=2massh,2massk,2massj position=abell1656 samp=true

and the three 2MASS images will pop into Aladin. SkyView is primarily an
image generation tool, so that seems like the natural way to use SAMP
internally.

I'd also thought about adding a listener capability into SkyView, so
that, e.g., one would click on an image in some other application and
have SkyView generate images.  On reflection I've decided that's
probably not the right way to go.  It seems to me that it would be
better to have build a more generic listener that invokes a command as
needed.  E.g.,

   messageListener -mtype coord.pointAt.sky \
     -action 'skyview position=$ra,$dec survey=dss size=0.05 pixels=100'

where the idea is that the the $ra and $dec are parameters of the mtype.
  Every time the listener gets a message it spawns off a new process.
Seems like this is just a more sophisticated version of Mark's snooper
and a natural complement to messageSender.  With messageSender and
messageListener, I could SAMPify lot's of tools using simple scripts.

Has anyone already implemented such a thing?  Does that seem like the
right approach?

	Regards,
	Tom McGlynn