MType Spectra vocabulary

Isa Barbarisi Isa.Barbarisi at sciops.esa.int
Fri May 9 02:07:17 PDT 2008

Alasdair Allan wrote:

> Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> For this to work, we'd need a concept in SAMP that an app subscribing to
>> table.load.votable would be willing to read a table.load message as
>> well, i.e.
>> is the MType  a direct string match, do we allow wildcards like
>> table.load.*,
>> or is there an implicit subscription to higher-level messages like
>> table.load
>> if we explicitly post table.load.votable as an Mtype?
>
> Totally disagree... ;)
>
> If an application wants to subscribe to a table.load.votable and then
> arrange a bunch of flows on receipt of this message that's fine with
> me, I think defining an action that an application must take to go
> with a specific message is the wrong way to go. What happens at the
> application end on receipt of a specific message is, as far as I'm
> concerned, up to the application.
>
> Specifying that something that's decided to accept a
> table.load.votable has to accept a table.load is a an anathema to this
> concept. If the sender wanted the app to do something (arrange a bunch
> of flowers) it should have sent it a message it was willing to accept.
>
> Al.

I understand your point of view but I would like to propose some
scenarios where this could lead to some problem.
For example, if VOSpec has to subscribe to both file.load and
spectrum.load.image, this means that if Aladin broadcasts fits images
with file.load, VOSpec has to understand that they are not spectra.
Maybe there is a tricky way to manage all the possible formats and
everything, but I think the protocol should avoid as much as possible
such a messy thing. As a SAMP client, I would like to subscribe just to
the spectrum MTypes in principle, because my application manages just
spectra, but yes I see this has to be discussed because we don't want to
make the protocol too much complicate.

Cheers,
Isa

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The
unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify
the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
for any e-mail if modified.