MType Spectra vocabulary

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Fri May 9 01:13:21 PDT 2008

Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:
> For this to work, we'd need a concept in SAMP that an app
> subscribing to
> table.load.votable would be willing to read a table.load message as
> well, i.e.
> is the MType  a direct string match, do we allow wildcards like
> table.load.*,
> or is there an implicit subscription to higher-level messages like
> table.load
> if we explicitly post table.load.votable as an Mtype?

Totally disagree... ;)

If an application wants to subscribe to a table.load.votable and then
arrange a bunch of flows on receipt of this message that's fine with
me, I think defining an action that an application must take to go
with a specific message is the wrong way to go. What happens at the
application end on receipt of a specific message is, as far as I'm
concerned, up to the application.

Specifying that something that's decided to accept a
table.load.votable has to accept a table.load is a an anathema to
this concept. If the sender wanted the app to do something (arrange a
bunch of flowers) it should have sent it a message it was willing to
accept.

Al.