Administrative MTypes

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Jun 3 05:49:03 PDT 2008

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Thomas Boch wrote:

>> Note that app.event.{starting,stopping} are not intended to indicate
>> whether a client has joined/left SAMP, but whether it has started or
>> stopped "processing" in some application-specific sense - Al argued
>> in the session that these names should be changed to avoid confusion.
>
> Those names confuse me as well. What about
> app.event.{startingProcess,stoppingProcess} ?

That could be an improvement.

As far as I understand the intention of these MTypes they are likely
to be restricted to the sort of client which does batch-like processing
of data.  If that's the case, they are somewhat application-specific,
so should maybe not be admin-type messages, and hence should be
defined and described outside of the main SAMP document itself?