Asynchronous querying and tabular data

Kona Andrews kea at roe.ac.uk
Wed May 2 07:15:29 PDT 2007

> I am afraid you have lost me here. I see no reason to infer that queryData is
> some sort of estimate on the work required to do the real thing. In SIA it is
> a query and returns the query result. It happens that the query result itself
> describes something else and one column (hopefully) contains a URL to the
> something else. It is not an estimate.

I'm no expert on this subject, but I know that producing a meaningful
estimate for an arbitrary SQL query is a non-trivial task, support for
which is somewhat RDBMS-dependent.

For those trying to provide generic data services that can operate
as a front end for a wide range of back-end RDBMS systems, it is
potentially impossible to produce an interoperable and meaningful
query-estimate implementation.

Additionally, TAP might well be a useful access mechanism for "custom"
tabular data services with something other than an RDBMS in the back
end;  in these cases there might be no estimation functionality
available at all.

In other words, support for query estimation isn't necessarily
universal in data services.  How would the queryData/stageData
metaphor work in the situation where the service (for whatever
reason) does not support query estimation?

Cheers,
Kona
Kona Andrews        kea at roe.ac.uk
AstroGrid Project   http://www.astrogrid.org
IfA, Royal Observatory, Blackford Hill, Edinburgh EH9 3HJ