[ivoa-std/VOEvent] Registry matters (#11)

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Nov 4 09:13:52 CET 2020

Dave,

On Tue, Nov 03, 2020 at 03:11:03PM +0000, Dave Morris wrote:
> On 2020-11-03 08:58, Baptiste Cecconi wrote:
> Dis-entangling the event identifier from the service registration is likely
> to be a gradual process, with many changes to the specification.

Let's see -- I don't think it's that hard, because, really, no actual
way to "resolve" VOEvents in a meaningful way is forseen in the
current draft either, as there is no archiving facility.  Hence, as
long as we suggest a way alternative identifier schemes still have
(strong-ish) guarantees of identifier uniqueness, I'd say they ought
to just work.

> It would be good if we could make this PR into a step along that path, by
> changing the emphasis of the wording to be IF and MAY rather than MUST.

I'll not quarrel on forever, and it's a minor point as the wording
won't stand forever either way, but one last attempt: Won't you agree
that it's preferable if each step in document evolution is consistent
within itself?  If we say MAY here while there's a MUST  on ivoids,
the draft has an internal inconsistency.  I'd like to avoid that, in
particular with a view to discussing why we'd like to open up to
other identifier schemes.

But, really, few people will see that intermediate draft, so from my
end if you can't live with the MUST, change it in some appropriate
way before the merge -- but let's merge, and then try things out
while continuing on the identifiers issue where that belongs.

      -- Markus